Thursday, June 23, 2016

Book Review: The Hero's Guide to Being an Outlaw (League of Princes #3)

The Hero's Guide to Being an Outlaw
by  Christopher Healy
Date Read:  6/17/16
Rating: ★ ★ 
★ ★ 

I am sad to see this series end. I have really enjoyed it. Christopher Healy has created such a humorous world and lovable characters.  All of our heroes and heroines are on the run since they have become the prime suspects to Briar’s purported murder!  All of the princes and princesses have a lot of story time in this novel – which is awesome, but at times cumbersome to keep track of who is where and doing what.

This was a pretty long book for a middle-grade book, but there were very few parts that were slow. One specific part that I thought was slow and took up a lot of time was when every single one of them made a wish from the genie… while it was one of the more humorous scenes, it also took up a lot of time all in one place without actually gaining much from the scene.

New characters are met in this book on a pirate ship, and old characters arrive again, either to help our heroes or to hinder them. Who is working with Rundark against the princes? How are they controlling all the different kingdoms?  I love that their plans never work out the way they are planned, although they somehow always win anyway!

I think Lila and Gustav were my favorites in this book. They had some good storylines and character development.  I wasn’t as big of a fan of Liam in this book as I was in the first book. Duncan is still just as annoying as he always has been.

I really liked that this was a group of unlikely heroes who want to do good and manage to do so in unique ways. Each one has their strengths and they always find a way to use that in their favor. It was a really good story and satisfying ending. 

I am fairly happy with who everyone ends up with at the end. I liked that it wasn’t necessarily the girl they originally started out with. Although I feel that relationships could have been handled differently, I liked that series showed that you need to complement each other – rather than be exactly alike or very different.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...